Unlike the Oscars, the Grammys or the Golden Globes, the ‘People’s Choice Awards’ is given on the basis of votes by the common people – the general public, rather than the process of selection through a panel of judges or voting members.
The 43rd People’s Choice Awards, held on Wednesday at the Microsoft Theatre in Los Angeles, California, was no different; recognizing the best in popular culture for the year just gone by – 2016 – the nominees, by the way, had been announced on November 15, 2016.
The awards ceremony was hosted by Joel McHale accompanied by six babies, “part of the Angelina and Brad divorce settlement,” he joked. They were there to be given away as consolation prizes to the non-winners, he added amusingly.
“If you don’t win an award you get one of the adorable babies to take home,” is what he actually said.
The 43rd ‘People’s Choice Awards’, aired live on CBS, was full of fun and laughter and there was no dearth of entertainment in terms of musical performances, good acceptance speeches and jokes aplenty – not to forget the red carpet where Blake Lively stole the show looking stunningly gorgeous in an Elie Saab mini and matching heels – black and silvery.
She accepted the Favorite Dramatic Movie Actress award delivering a great acceptance speech thanking her “mum” for teaching her as a kid not to let anyone stifle her progress.
“My mum, she always taught me as a kid that you can’t ever let anyone limit you. Don’t ever let anyone tell you there’s something you can’t do,” she said.
Praising the Spice Girls, the group she wanted to join as a youngster, she said, “What was so neat about them was that they’re all do distinctly different, and they were women, and they owned who they were, and that was my first introduction into girl power.”
Johnny Depp’s acceptance speech for the Favorite Movie Icon award was no less powerful. He said that his presence at the ceremony was for the people who had faith in him and supported him through his good and bad times.
“I was very deeply affected by the kindness of your recognition and by your well wishes to my family and myself, which is why it’s especially meaningful for me to be here in front of you to say thank you,” he said – probably in reference to his bitter divorce from Amber Heard resulting in her getting custody of their dogs and costing him an alimony of $7 million.
Another notable feature of the ceremony was Ellen DeGeneres becoming the most successful star in the history of ‘People’s Choice Awards’, with a total of 20 awards to her credit who picked up the Best Daytime TV Host & Best Animated Movie Voice awards this year.
Following is a compilation of the key awards given out this year – names of the recipients of the 43rd People’s Choice Awards 2017.
The complete list of winners, however, can be found on People’s Choice Website and Wikipedia.
* Favorite movie: Finding Dory
* Favorite movie actor: Ryan Reynolds
* Favorite movie actress: Jennifer Lawrence
* Favorite action movie: Deadpool
* Favorite action movie actor: Robert Downey Jr
* Favorite action movie actress: Margot Robbie
* Favorite animated movie voice: Ellen DeGeneres
* Favorite comedic movie actor: Kevin Hart
* Favorite comedic movie actress: Melissa McCarthy
* Favorite dramatic movie actor: Tom Hanks
* Favorite dramatic movie actress: Blake Lively
* Favorite movie icon: Johnny Depp
* Favorite TV show: Outlander
* Favorite network TV comedy: The Big Bang Theory
* Favorite comedic TV actor: Jim Parsons
* Favorite comedic TV actress: Sofia Vergara
* Favorite network TV drama: Grey’s Anatomy
* Favorite TV crime drama: Criminal Minds
* Favorite TV crime drama actor: Mark Harmon
* Favorite TV crime drama actress: Jennifer Lopez
* Favorite competition TV show: The Voice
* Favorite daytime TV host: Ellen DeGeneres
* Favorite late-night talk show host: Jimmy Fallon
* Favorite male music artist: Justin Timberlake
* Favorite female music artist: Britney Spears
* Favorite group: Fifth Harmony
* Favorite break-out artist: Niall Horan
* Favorite pop artist: Britney Spears
* Favorite song: Can’t Stop the Feeling, Justin Timberlake
* Favorite social media celebrity: Britney Spears