After months of media speculation about the developing relationship between Britain’s Prince Harry and American actress Meghan Markle, which became even more frenzied after their meeting with Queen Elizabeth over tea last month, Clarence House has finally released a statement confirming the engagement, which took place earlier this month.
This morning’s statement also confirmed that the wedding would take place in the spring of 2018 and that the couple would live in Nottingham Cottage, Kensington Palace.
The Prince of Wales is delighted to announce the engagement of Prince Harry to Ms. Meghan Markle. pic.twitter.com/zdaHR4mcY6
— Clarence House (@ClarenceHouse) November 27, 2017
The 33-year-old Prince and the actress, 33, appeared for a photocall at Kensington Palace this afternoon to celebrate their engagement, where they will also record a television broadcast to be aired this evening.
However, the venue for the upcoming spring wedding is still left to speculation as no confirmation of that has come from the royal family.
The nuptials could well take place at St Paul’s Cathedral, where his father tied the knot with Camilla Parker Bowles in 2005, the same venue where he married Harry’s mother, the late Princess Diana, in 1981.
Alternatively, it could be Westminster Abbey, the venue of his brother Prince William’s wedding with Kate Middleton, or, perhaps, Windsor Castle where the two can possibly end up taking their marital vows.
It will be Markle’s second wedding, after she divorced husband of two years, Trevor Engelson, 41, in May 2013, due to “irreconcilable differences.”
Meghan’s divorced parents, Thomas Markle and Doria Ragland, have also blessed the couple saying that their union was a “source of great joy” to them, wishing them a “lifetime of happiness.”
“We are incredibly happy for Meghan and Harry,” said the estranged couple in a statement shared by Kensington Palace. “Our daughter has always been a kind and loving person. To see her union with Harry, who shares the same qualities, is a source of great joy for us as parents,” adding, “We wish them a lifetime of happiness and are very excited for their future together.”
Ms. Markle’s parents, Mr. Thomas Markle and Doria Ragland have wished the couple ‘a lifetime of happiness.’ pic.twitter.com/H4kpTgpkYE
— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) November 27, 2017
Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip said they were “delighted for the couple” and wished them “every happiness”
The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh are delighted for the couple and wish them every happiness. https://t.co/aAJ23uSbao
— The Royal Family (@RoyalFamily) November 27, 2017
Prince Charles said he was “thrilled” and “very happy indeed” for Harry and his would-be wife.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has congratulated the newly engaged couple.
Congratulations and best wishes to you both! 🇨🇦🇬🇧Félicitations et mes meilleurs vœux à vous deux! https://t.co/7oaMFrmVqu
— Justin Trudeau (@JustinTrudeau) November 27, 2017
ITV’s royal correspondent reports that the engagement ring is studded with three diamonds, one from Botswana while the other two are from Princess Diana’s personal collection.
We have just been told Meghan’s ring made from 3 stones: one from Botswana (where couple holidayed recently) and 2 diamonds from his mother Diana’s personal collection
— Chris Ship (@chrisshipitv) November 27, 2017
Channel 4 anchor Krishnan Guru-Murthy is happy with the “good news” and hopes that “maybe one day some mixed-race kids in the Royal family.” He is also confident that “Trump (who Meghan called misogynist) won’t be invited.”
Nice to have some good news. Possible Obama (Harry’s pal) will be at the wedding and Trump (who Meghan called misogynist) won’t be invited. And maybe one day some mixed-race kids in the Royal family. https://t.co/CGmntBDiAQ
— Krishnan Guru-Murthy (@krishgm) November 27, 2017