Samsung Has Finally Decided to Discontinue the Galaxy Note 7 in the U.S

Samsung to discontinue the Galaxy Note 7 permanently in the U.S. – users are advised to stop using it with immediate effect – go for an exchange – get a safer phone.

Samsung Has Finally Decided to Discontinue the Galaxy Note 7 in the U.S

Before the Galaxy Note 7 kills or maims users, Samsung has decided to kill the much-maligned phone itself, and rightly so, by totally disabling the model effective December 19, 2016. While 93 percent of the device has already been recalled the remaining 7 percent is still a big safety threat to the owners – hence, Samsung’s drastic decision to completely do away with Galaxy Note 7 in the U.S.

The Galaxy Note 7 has a history of serious malfunctioning ever since the model hit the stores. Even the phones that Samsung replaced, with claims and assurances that the exploding battery problems had been corrected by their engineers, continued to burn or explode – the problem has become Samsung’s nemesis and finally they have decided to completely kill the model come December 19th.

However, as December 19th is still some distance away, a lot can happen in the interim period. Therefore, users who are still in possession of this dangerous piece of technology are advised to power it down and get rid of it – like yesterday.

“To further increase participation, a software update will be released starting on December 19 that will prevent U.S. Galaxy Note 7 devices from charging and will eliminate their ability to work as mobile devices,” said Samsung in a statement. “If you have not yet returned your device, you should immediately power it down and contact your carrier to obtain a refund or exchange.”

As an additional safety measure, Samsung has taken steps to urge users to return the potentially deadly device by issuing pop-up reminders every time the phone’s screen is turned on along with a software update to restrict the Galaxy Note 7’s charging ability to 60 percent.

“Consumers with an original Galaxy Note 7 or replacement Galaxy Note 7 should power down and take advantage of the remedies available, including a refund at their place of purchase,” advised Samsung in an official statement.

Samsung had earlier put the blame for the overheating and exploding to a battery manufacturing defect; however, it has been reported that the defect is in the phone itself.

Here are some reports of incidents involving the replaced Galaxy Note 7:

October 4 – A Kentucky user of the device in question suffered lung damage after the phone overheated and filled his bedroom with toxic smoke.

October 5 – A Note 7 ignited during a Southwest Airline flight.

October 7 – A Taiwanese woman reported smoke emitting from her phone while in her pocket.

October 7 – A 13-year old girl suffered burn injuries due to extreme overheating of her phone.

October 9 – A Virginia resident reported that his Note 7 caught fire on his nightstand and filled his room with toxic smoke.

In an earlier article on Samsung’s exploding Galaxy Note 7 we had written, “Ironically, the Galaxy Note 7 which was intended to be the crowning glory of their smartphone range may turn out to be Samsung’s Waterloo, so to speak. Only time will tell.”

Well, time has told, and it is now confirmed that the Galaxy Note 7 will meet its Waterloo on December 19, 2016.

Leave your vote

0 points
Upvote Downvote

Total votes: 0

Upvotes: 0

Upvotes percentage: 0.000000%

Downvotes: 0

Downvotes percentage: 0.000000%

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *