The Weinstein Company Board Fires CEO Harvey Weinstein for Sexual Misconduct

CEO and co-founder of The Weinstein Company has been terminated |He was expelled from the company following NYT story about his 20 years of sexual misconduct | No criminal charges have been filed against him

The Weinstein Company Board Fires CEO Harvey Weinstein for Sexual Misconduct

CEO and Co-founder of The Weinstein Company, Harvey Weinstein, has been discharged by the company in the wake of last week’s New York Times investigative report detailing two decades of sexual misdemeanor and harassment allegations against the 65-year-old Oscar- winning movie mogul.

Justifying the termination The Weinstein Company released the following statement on Sunday.

“In light of new information about misconduct by Harvey Weinstein that has emerged in the past few days, the directors of The Weinstein Company – Robert Weinstein, Lance Maerov, Richard Koenigsberg and Tarak Ben Ammar—have determined, and have informed Harvey Weinstein, that his employment with The Weinstein Company is terminated, effective immediately.”

E! News has reported that co-chairman of the company Bob Weinstein, who is also the brother of the disgraced co-founder, will jointly lead the company with chief operating officer David Glasser.
Suddenly, it appears that Harvey Weinstein has become a hot potato for more than just The Weinstein Company board.

Lisa Bloom announced on Saturday that she would no longer serve as an advisor to him.

“I have resigned as an advisor to Harvey Weinstein,” Bloom tweeted. “My understanding is that Mr. Weinstein and his board are moving toward an agreement.”

Bloom had attracted widespread criticism for initially defending Weinstein which, probably, led to the clever move of abandoning the promiscuous producer with her Saturday announcement.

“When Harvey came to me about a year ago, to talk to him about this, he said immediately: ‘I’m not going to attack any of the women, we’re going to do this differently, I’m willing to acknowledge I’ve made mistakes. How many top CEOs do you hear, in this kind of situation, say that?” Bloom told Quest. “And I’ve had very frank and honest conversations with him about, ‘Harvey — your behavior needs to improve’, and he acknowledges that.”

Her resignation raised speculations of an impending announcement by the company of a serious nature – which turned out be so true with the board’s Sunday announcement of the sacking.

Weinstein’s legal and public relations counsel Lanny Davis also stepped aside following Bloom’s announcement.

This came after three directors of the company had already resigned from the board the previous day, while the four remaining board members said in a statement that Weinstein may or may not return to the company after an “indefinite leave of absence.”

“We strongly endorse Harvey Weinstein’s already-announced decision to take an indefinite leave of absence from the Company, commencing today,” said the statement.

“As Harvey has said, it is important for him to get professional help for the problems he has acknowledged,” the statement further said. “Next steps will depend on Harvey’s therapeutic progress, the outcome of the Board’s independent investigation, and Harvey’s own personal decisions.”

In an earlier statement Weinstein had said that he was taking a leave of absence:

“I appreciate the way I’ve behaved with colleagues in the past has caused a lot of pain, and I sincerely apologize for it.” He also said, “I’ve brought on therapists and I plan to take a leave of absence from my company and to deal with this issue head-on.”

“We take extremely seriously the accusations published in yesterday’s New York Times about our Company’s co-chairman Harvey Weinstein,” the Company board’s statement said. “It is essential to our Company’s culture that all women who work for it or have any dealings with it or any of our executives are treated with respect and have no experience of harassment or discrimination.”

NYT’s Thursday report talks about at least eight settlements over the last twenty years between Weinstein and the women who accused him of sexual harassment and unwanted physical contact.

Following the damning report, Weinstein threatened to sue NYT for a whopping $50 million calling the report “reckless” and accusing the publication of holding a “vendetta” against him.

“What I am saying is that I bear responsibility for my actions, but the reason I am suing is because of the Times’ inability to be honest with me, and their reckless reporting,” he said. “They told me lies. They made assumptions.”

Related Twitter Moments

Leave your vote

2 points
Upvote Downvote

Total votes: 2

Upvotes: 2

Upvotes percentage: 100.000000%

Downvotes: 0

Downvotes percentage: 0.000000%

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *